Use SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD software to quickly create production-ready 2D drawings that are always current, and clearly communicate how your design should be manufactured and assembled. SOLIDWORKS associativity links a 2D drawing directly with a 3D solid model, so updates to the 3D model can be automatically reflected in the 2D drawing. SOLIDWORKS accelerates your design process, saving time and development costs while increasing productivity.
With traditional 2D CAD, drawings are often out of date and/or drawing views do not accurately reflect the design, leading to expensive manufacturing errors that slow down product delivery. Without an automated update system, all drawing views must be updated manually whenever a design change occurs. This becomes an even bigger problem when a component or assembly exists in many different assemblies or at many different levels of the same assembly, because it requires that all the drawing views containing the modified components be updated.
SOLIDWORKS drawing capabilities include:
- Automatic Drawing View creation and update—Drag and drop the 3D model onto a drawing for automatic generation of drawing views with automatic update of changes to the 3D model
- CAD Dimensioning, Tolerancing and Annotations—SOLIDWORKS includes standard ANSI, ISO, GD&T, and other dimensioning methods
- Bill of Materials (BOM)—Automatically generate parts lists and cut lists to track material needs
- CAD Standards checking (Design Checker)—Compare your drawings to company standards to ensure consistency using the SOLIDWORKS Design Checker tool
- Revision control—Control drawing revisions and graphically compare drawings to identify differences
- Automated Creation of Radial/Cylindrical Exploded Views - Significantly speed up the creation of exploded views for designs that have fasteners and components positioned radially/cylindrically around an axis